What countersink do you use?
I’m constantly surprised at how popular the countersink bit is – I even made a video to directly address it! I use the P&N CutSmart that is available from Bunnings inside Australia. I don’t know if its available outside Australia.
What Camera Gear Do You Use?
- Canon EOS 750D (T6i in North America) with a variety of lenses, primarily an 16-35mm f2.8.
- I use a Rode SmartLav+ (Thanks Matt!) into a Tascam DR-22WL recorder.
- For voice overs I use a Rode NT-USB microphone on the Rode desk boom.
I like the sound of Rode microphones, they’re an Australian company (some are AU made too), and they’re affordable.
What software do you use for…
- Editing? Adobe Creative Cloud. Specifically each project goes through at least Premiere Pro, Audition, Photoshop, Lightroom and AfterEffects
- CAD/Plans? Fusion 360 & MaxCut. If I’m producing plans, I also use InDesign
What Tools Do You Use?
I get asked about what tools I use a lot. A lot a lot. This usually stems from somebody seeing it in a video and wanting to know a range of different things about it – whether I’d recommend it, how much it costs, where I got it, even the brand.
These questions get tiring after the first 50 entries, particularly when the tool in question is mentioned and brand logos visible in the video. As for where to get it and how much it costs? I’m no longer going to say – people have been offended when I’ve told them stores they can’t get to because they live 100km+ from the nearest toolshop, or live in a different country and they act as if that is my fault.
If I say a tool is great (or terrible), you can take that as my recommendation. Otherwise this list is not an endorsement – I encourage you to do your own research based on your use, budget, etc.
This is not an exhaustive list, but I will work on it over time.
Links are to any video reviews I’ve done on the tools in question.
- Sawstop 1.75hp Contractor Saw (Table Saw)
- IWoodLike Artisan 310XC (Combination Jointer/Thicknesser)
- Bosch GCM 12 GDL (Mitre Saw)
- Laguna 14|12 (Bandsaw)
These are the brands I typically use or have multiple tools of. That is not an endorsement, that is not a promotion, thats just what happens to be in my workshop. If you’re interested in a tool you see in my videos, use this colour chart to track down what brand it is.
Battery Powered Tools
- Milwaukee M12CID (12v Impact Driver)
- Milwaukee M12CPD (12v Hammer Drill/Driver)
- Bosch GSB V-EC (18v Drill/Driver)
- Bosch GSR V-EC (18v Drill/Driver)
- Bosch GST 18V-Li S BB (18v Jigsaw)
Corded Power Tools
- Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE (5 or 6″ Random Orbit Sander )
- Bosch GKT 55 GCE (Tracksaw)
- Bosch GOF 1600 CE (Router)
- Triton TRA001 (Router)
- Makita RT0700CX (Trim router)
- Festool Domino DF-500
I would describe myself as a “hybrid” woodworker, using both hand and powertools where they make sense. As such, I don’t have an exhaustive list of handtools (more than what is currently listed, I’m working on that!)
- Luban Rabbet Block Plane
- Luban #4 Smoother
- Luban set of bench chisels
- Shinto Saw Rasp
- Veritas Mk2 Sharpening Jig
- Cerax Combo Waterstone (1000/6000)
This is stuff that might fall under consumables